Best Calcium Supplements to Choose From
Why is calcium so important? Our body uses 99 percent of its calcium for maintaining the strength of bones and teeth, and for supporting skeletal structure. The remaining 1 percent of the calcium in our body is used in cell signaling, blood clotting, blood vessel and muscle contraction, enzyme and hormone secretion, regulation of heartbeats, and nerve function. On an average, calcium makes around 2.3 percent of human body weight.
An adult is recommended to consume 1000 to 1200 mg of calcium daily. Calcium deficiency could be a result of inadequate intake of calcium or insufficient absorption of calcium, due to vitamin D, phosphorus and magnesium deficiency.
Calcium deficiency can be of two types, which are as follows:
- Dietary calcium deficiency: This deficiency is caused due to insufficient intake of calcium, leading to depletion of calcium stores in bones, weakening of bones and osteoporosis.
- Hypocalcemia: The level of calcium in the blood reduces, often due to side effects of certain medications.
Symptoms of calcium deficiency include muscle cramps, dry skin, weak bones and teeth, frequent fractures, brittle nails, delayed puberty, etc. Calcium deficiency, if left untreated, may result in osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, and even cancer. Therefore, timely detection and treatment of calcium deficiency are very important for overall health and well-being.
Calcium supplements help in overcoming calcium deficiency. They are available in two forms, calcium carbonate, and calcium citrate. A good calcium supplement should include vitamin D to aid absorption of calcium in the body and should contain calcium in a form that is easy for the body to process. Following are some of the calcium supplement brands available in the country.
Citracal Petites Calcium Citrate Formula + D3
This product is clinically proven to reduce the rate of bone loss and support bone health. These tablets are soluble, bioavailable and usable by the body. It contains 400 mg of calcium in the form of calcium citrate.
Caltrate® 600+D3 Soft Chews
It comes in the form of soft chews in chocolate truffle and vanilla crème flavors, a delicious way to nourish your bones. you can consume it with and/or without your meals. It contains 600 mg calcium citrate and 800 IU of vitamin D.
Bone Strength Take Care™
It comes in tablet form, each tablet containing 257 mg of calcium. The calcium in The caplet is derived from algae. It contains vitamin D as well which helps in the absorption of calcium. It also contains vitamin K in small quantity which helps improve bone density.
Nature Made® Calcium
Each capsule of Nature Made® Calcium contains 600 mg of calcium and 400 IU of vitamin D and also several binders and stabilizers.
Kirkland Signature Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Zinc
Each tablet contains 250 mg of calcium (in the form of calcium citrate), 40 mg of magnesium (magnesium oxide) and 5 mg of zinc (zinc oxide). Both magnesium and zinc along with calcium, help in improving bone density.
GNC CALCIUM PLUS® 1000
Each caplet of GNC calcium plus 1000 contains 333 mg of calcium, 266 IU of vitamin D, and 166 mg of magnesium. It is a good choice available at a low cost per dose.
Swanson Calcium Citrate & Vitamin D
Each tablet contains 310 mg of calcium (in the form of calcium citrate) and 200 IU of vitamin D and some vegetable based binders and stabilizers.
Rainbow Light Calcium Citrate Mini Tablets
This tablet contains 200 mg of calcium (calcium citrate), 200 IU Vitamin D, Spirulina, which is a good source of dietary protein, iron, and other vitamins, Horsetail extract which provides some anti-inflammatory effects and Boron, which is beneficial for bone and muscle health.
BlueBonnet Calcium Citrate Magnesium and Vitamin D3
Each tablet contains 250 mg calcium (in the form of calcium citrate), 200 IU vitamin D and 100 mg magnesium. It is highly ranked for its label accuracy.